Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Fat Tuesday/ Ash Wednesday

We received this note from Joan this week:

Dear everyone,
I am writing this to you from Bonneau, because I am visiting Fr. Carl and the preseminarians. But I am also trying NOT to be in Port-de-Paix for a few days. I am sure you know about Mardi Gras (Mardi is Tuesday). Well, Haiti takes that a few steps farther. They have Lendi Gras (Monday), Dimanche Gras (Sunday), and they would have had Samdi Gras (Saturday), but there was no electricity in PdP.

There is much loud music, many people marching and partying in the streets, young men in masks cracking long whips, drinking, and more disorder than usual....starting at about 5PM till very late at night. And it all passes by the convent numerous times.

I prefer the quieter rural areas.

I will write more after Ash Wednesday.
I wish you a peaceful Lent.
Joan

No comments: