Tuesday, January 26, 2010

News from Elizabeth

St. Ambrose parishoner Elizabeth Amidon is now in Haiti, and sent this e-mail today:

Hello from Haiti. I wanted to let you all know I am fine. We set up clinic in Chambran and treated about 200 people yesterday. About 1/3 were displaced from the earthquake. Mostly we treated babies. We have not gone downtown to witness the mass destructsion and have no desire to do so. I have not been watching the news, so I'm not sure what the are reporting.This is the first time I have gotten on the internet. There are plenty of buildings down all around this nieghborhood. I saw many people living in tent cities. People are afraid to sleep in their homes. The streets are blocked off at night and people sleep in the streets. The buildings that were built with in building codes are still standing. Many buildings were built with shotty cement, meaning little concrete mixed with a lot of sand. When they fell they turned back into sand. I have not been exposed to the 'smell of death'. Thankfully. We went to church in Chambrun which is the highlight of my visits here. Thier committment to the lord is amazing to witnessI have seen my favorite kids and have added to the list. We are sending a five person team into the tent cities to treat earthquake victims. I should be on the team that goes out tomorrow. Today I will be back at the clinic in Chambran. My bus is leaving, so I have to run. Keep us in your prayers and please continue to try and raise money through NVM. God bless and love you all. Elizabeth

Elizabeth is working at Nehimiah Vision Ministries; you can read about their ministry at http://blog.nehemiahvisionministries.org/

Peace.

No comments: